How Do I Know If My Dog Has an Ear Infection?
Dogs can be prone to ear infections, and dog owners need to be able to recognize the symptoms of such infections. Ear infections in dogs can be caused by a variety of factors, including bacteria, yeast, allergies, or ear mites. Read on to learn more about identifying an ear infection in your dog from the veterinary professionals at Kindred Care Pet Hospital.
Symptoms of Ear Infections in Dogs
- Scratching or rubbing the ears: One of the most noticeable symptoms of an ear infection in dogs is excessive scratching or rubbing of the ears. This is because the infection can cause itching or discomfort in the ears.
- Head shaking: Another sign that your dog may have an ear infection is frequent head shaking. This is a way for your dog to try to relieve the discomfort in their ears.
- Redness and inflammation: If you notice that your dog's ears look red or inflamed, it could be a sign of an infection. The ear may also appear swollen or hot to the touch.
- Discharge or foul odor: Ear infections in dogs can also cause a discharge from the ear. This discharge may be yellow or brown and it may have a foul odor.
- Loss of balance: In severe cases, an ear infection can affect your dog's balance. This is because the infection can affect the inner ear which is responsible for your dog’s balance.
- Changes in behavior: You may notice that your dog's behavior changes if they have an ear infection. They may be more irritable or lethargic than usual, or they may not want you to touch their ears.
If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog, it's important to take them to the veterinarian as soon as possible. Ear infections can be uncomfortable and even painful for dogs, and if left untreated, they can lead to more serious health problems. With prompt treatment, however, most ear infections in dogs can be easily cured.
Schedule an Appointment with Our Veterinarian for Pet Ear Infection Treatment in Richmond, TX
At Kindred Care Pet Hospital, we provide quality pet care. If your dog is showing symptoms of an ear infection, give us a call today!